So never mind.
Some things transpired over the weekend that helped me come to this realization. First, I watched a wonderful and moving Swedish film called As it is in Heaven the other day with Edwin. It's about a famous maestro who returns to his boyhood village after an excruciating career in the lime light. It's a bit sappy, and overdoes its point... but still I loved it. And I know it's in part because the movie's theme concerned the way music has with people.
Second, I had dinner with my professor and his wife Jenny on Sunday night. It was lovely-- they live in the Italian suburb of Sydney (though you wouldn't know it by its name-- "Leichhardt"), whose main drag is Norton street. Norton street is a happy little land where all the restaurants serve authentic Italian, and aromas of garlic bread and red wine follow after you wherever you go. Guido and Jenny have a daughter, Kate, who is an incredibly social 18-month-old and is spoken to in English by Jenny and Italian by Guido. It's pretty much adorable. I've offered to watch her some night during this next week so Guido and Jenny can have a much needed break. I may try to speak with Kate in German, or maybe Spanish...and see what happens.
After Kate went to bed, Jenny, Guido and I talked about classical music for the entire evening. We listened to three different recordings of the second movement of Dvorak's 6th Symphony (though the 7th is her favorite). We decided the Czech orchestra (I forget under which conductor) performed it best--with the most pluckiness. Jenny was trained as a professional conductor in Prague for many years, hence her great love for all composers Slovakian and Eastern European, especially Dvorak. I'm sure many people would think it ridiculous that we spent the entire evening considering a particular movement of a particular symphony, but I loved every minute of it. Jenny has told me that if I can underwrite the event, she and Guido will come to the States and put on an opera. Jenny will pick the opera, but I get to be the diva-- that was my one condition. I want to do lots of showing-off, I said. That's fine, Jenny said, but I get to decide the tempos. Agreed.
The third event was rather a string of small events that not only endeared me to a few individuals in particular, but to humanity at large. This was on Monday, after I'd spent the weekend prior immersed in Dvorak, and watching As it is in Heaven, and coming to the general conclusion that I can only ever fall in love with someone over-the-top obsessed with classical music-- that the events occurred. First, waiting for the train I was joined on the platform by two young men. Both college-aged or younger. Both dressed in punk manner. One has a guitar. The other-- not in association with the first--a cello. Most excellent. I wish we could see more celli floating around train stations, streets and sidewalks. We'd all be much happier. Second, on the train ride home the boy immediately behind me (again, probably a bit younger than me, and dressed in a somewhat hipster manner-- though I have noticed a general lack of hipstericity Down Under) with his MP3 player going full blast. This is all quite normal, except that I happened to catch the distinct sound of brass--and an entire orchestra (more faintly)-- coming from this person's earbuds. Just the week before I'd been listening to bits of Bizet's The Pearl Fishers on the train, and realized that it was probably too loud and that everyone in the vicinity most likely was hearing only annoying warbling coming from my earbuds. I turned it down a bit...but then thought "What the heck. It's a bit of a cultural abnormality to be listening to classical music on the train anyway. I wonder how many people in the world do this? Maybe lots... but I doubt it."
And here, not but a few days later, was solid evidence to the contrary. A person approximately my age, obviously enjoying at high volume some unmistakably classical repertoire. I was a little weirded out by how happy that made me. I couldn't keep from grinning to myself for the remainder of the commute. There is goodness in the world. There is decency. There are people in my generation who enjoy a good bout with orchestral music. Then, to top off a good day, when I got home Arie was listening to some symphony on the radio while he cooked dinner.
Well, enough of me going on about that. What a snob I am. Sorry. But please note that it is not a valid argument to conclude from my excessive love and appreciation of classical music and all things associated therewith, etc. etc... that I therefore disapprove of other kinds of music.* That's just wrong. I love me some Radiohead, for example. Apparat is a new favorite, too. And Beirut. And perhaps I shouldn't admit it, but I've been on something of a George Michael kick of late, too. There. I said it.
I've gotta get back to work. A few more brief tidbits before I go:
1. The people in Australia are surprisingly tall! Men and women alike. I have seen more tall women ("tall" means my height or taller, operationally defined) here than I think I've even seen at Calvin or in the Netherlands. Put together. That's some freakishly tall people, folks.
2. Nobody has yet guessed successfully the meaning of "budgy smugglers", though mom and dad gave good attempts. Very creative, parents--but way, way off the mark.
3. My new favorite food is an Aussie treat called a Lemington. Let me explain to you what a Lemington is. A Lemington is a perfect cube of delight and wonder: a literal cube of vanilla cake about the size of something that's 4 inches cubed, dipped in dark chocolate and coated with infinitesimally small coconut flakes (which is the only sort of coconut flake there should be, in my opinion-- one wants to *hint* at coconut, not bury one's face in it). That's 64 cubic inches of all that is right and good and pleasing.
For this reason, Australia, I applaud thee.
*lest that music be country. Then, by all means, invalidly conclude away.

3 comments:
Hi Elise...Dad here:
Was the cello guy tall and/or good-looking? What about the guy behind you on the train listening to classical brass....was he tall and/or good-looking? Did you say hi and give them your number? Am I hinting too much? If you and some tall Aussie guy should go star gazing, and something nebulous occurred, then perhaps I'd also (someday) get to see the southern constellations!
Speaking of stars, Geo. Michael is okay (remember the song of his called "Faith" that was sung by that four-man group that we saw twice in SD? They were called Blenders) but for my money let's go with a couple Australian singers, like Sting, or maybe (and this dates me a bit) Olivia Newton-John. There was a time before I met your mother that I wish Olivia Newton-John would have dtaed me a bit:-)
Well, once again I procrastinate..back to the diss!
Tc32
Seriously, dad. Olivia Newton-John? Take it back, take it back! I can't stand the thought....ack!!! Although, if things *had* worked out between you, that would make me (whether or not it would still be *me* is a different....eerie question) the great-grand daughter of Max Born, one of the founders of quantum mechanics. Makes sense that his grandkid sang "Let's get physical...physical". (yeah, ok, i'm about the thousandth person to make that joke)
Still, I'm not sure it's worth the price. OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN, DAD?
AAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!! COUNTRY music. AAAACCCKKKK!!!!!!!
Country? Olivia N-J is NOT country! She starred with John Travolta in "Grease" and she sang "I honestly Love You" and "Have You Never Been Mellow" if she became country later...well she didn't ask ME if she should!
Post a Comment