First page: written in the Spring of Ought-Six (Anno Domini) in South Bend, Indiana, USA
Final page: written in the Spring of Ought-Eight (Anno Domini) in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Now I am going to relax for probably the first time since I wrote that first page. I've never, ever been so happy to finish a paper in my life. MY LIFE. WEEEEEE!!!
It's 8:40 post meridian here in Sydney, and I'm about to leave my office for the day. I shall walk to the station, stopping off for a nice, cold beer and greasy "crisps" at a pub along the way. And then I shall sleep. And I shall dream. And then I shall rise again in 10 hours to start another paper.
Lovestoya'll.
Elise-i-poo
p.s. If you would like to either (a) understand at least in part what the heck it means to do what it is I do, or (b) see two years of my wasted brain cells manifest in 24 pages of sexy LaTex formatting... then ask and you, too, can be privy to an unpublished version of el papel del muerto y triste. (I don't know how to post stuff on-line yet otherwise I'd just do that. Whatever.)
p.p.s. Budgy smugglers = speedos. Yes, that's right folks. Aussies call speedos "budgy smugglers". Think on that one for a bit. Just think about it. Most hilarious.

4 comments:
speedos....so have you seen any? I was fairly close, then, wasn't I? with my guess about wedgies, I mean. Thanks for the photos of both you AND the pointy building (Opera HOuse!)
Now I can show people that you truely ARE in Australia...not many in Hays know about our brilliant offspring, so now I can back up some of my boasting!
G'day
TC32
Thanks for all the updates and congratulations on the paper!
dad. (1) you're right, you were pretty darn close on the budgy smugglers guess. kudos!!! (2) the pointy building is the OPERA HOUSE? REALLY? (note sarcasm). oh dad. i'm a little worried that you thought i actually didn't know...you see, dad, therein lies the humor. it's like the time when i was a 1st year grad student i asked an older grad student next to me during a lecture what "WWII" meant. same thing. she didn't get it, either, though, come to think of it...
Hey Elise! I love reading of your adventures (and I'm a tad bit jealous...:)) Congrats of finishing your paper. And I would love to have a copy to read in all my free time ;).
Guess who I'm hanging out with this week? Van Baak, Haan, Mason and Scholten. I'm at a conference at Penn State and they're all here. Good times.
See ya later!
Post a Comment